Saturday, November 19, 2011

Knee Update (and some other thoughts)

As I'm standing here cooking dinner (with a crutch under one arm) and listening to my iPod, some of my favorite running songs come on. I start thinking about the race, things I could have done differently. Should have done differently. Yes, I am totally bummed that this happened and that I've been "laid up" for 2 weeks. Yes, I'm bummed when I'm driving down my road and see others out there running the route I ran for so many mornings. But then, I stop and think about how lucky I really am. I WILL be able to run again! There are some people out there that live like this on a day to day basis. They will never walk, let alone run, ever again. I'll be back out there in no time. It may be awhile before I'm actually running, but it's better than the alternative.

So to update all of you on my progress. I saw Dr. Ollo (Ortho Surgeon) almost 2 weeks ago. His first thought was it was a stress fracture. He did x-rays, which came back negative for a fracture. Little did I know, stress fractures sometimes take awhile to show up on x-rays. The older the fracture, the better it shows up. He said there is always the possibility of it being severe tendonitis. He said the treatment is the exact same, but the stress fracture will take longer to heal (4-6 weeks vs 6-8 weeks). He wanted to see me back a week later. I couldn't work or drive for the first week. If you've never been on crutches, you're lucky. There is nothing fun about not being able to do ANYTHING for yourself. "Benj, can you bring me my water please? Benj, can you please hand me my ice pack? Benj, can you please grab a pillow so I can prop my leg up?" IT.GETS.OLD. I'm sure Benji and my mom (who has helped SO MUCH) are JUST as over it as I am! My follow-up appointment was just explaining how I was feeling. He was happy with how I've progressed, but was hoping I would be off crutches. My next appointment is the week after Thanksgiving. If I'm still "crutchin' around" he wants to order an MRI. Thankfully, I've made some progress this week. I've worked a whole week (eh ehm, worked 5 days) without any pain, just cutting hair with crutches! No, it's not easy, but with the holiday just around the corner, it needed to be done! I've been using one crutch today and still feel great this evening. I am really hoping I can be off of crutches by Thanskgiving, which would mean no MRI. We will see.

So how am I doing this with a 19 month old and a 3 1/2 year old.....with LOTS of help from my Mom! She's cooked, grocery shopped, cleaned, did laundry, kept the kids, etc. So Mom, when you read this, I will make it up to you! :) I must leave this post with a few funnies that have happened this week:
-As I tell Laney it's naptime (and am not able to walk well even with the crutches), she takes off running and says, "You can't catch me!" NIIIIICE!!! I threatened to trip her with my crutch! ;)
-Max has discovered he can reach the pen drawer and get markers out. He comes in front of me, smiles, and takes off running. He knows I can't catch him!
-I have officially driven a motorized cart at Target and shopped at Keystone Mall in a wheelchair.
-Laney informed me today that her knee hurts and she needs to sit down and ice it.

I'm glad those two kiddos can still make me smile during all of this mess! Let's all pray for a Thanksgiving miracle of walking!


1 comment:

  1. Haha, well I did get a chuckle reading your kids' funnies. Those two sure are funny! :) Hope the leg continues to heal and that you will be crutch free soon!! Meg

    ReplyDelete