Friday, August 30, 2013

Memories Never Die

As many of you know, Cassius was diagnosed with a heart condition last summer (2012).  We have had to adjust a little bit of our morning and evening routine (mainly Benji) to giving Cassius a total of 9 pills daily, and recently, wet dog food.  He was actually starting to act a little more like himself, but an older version. ;)  With Cassius' condition, he would have a hard time breathing and would sometimes pass out for a few moments when he got excited (new visitors usually did it to him).  He wasn't able to enjoy his daily walks anymore due to lack of breath.  We started noticing a few months ago his muscle was deteriorating.  We both just prayed we wouldn't have to come to the point to have to make "that" decision.  We feel like we JUST did this with Brewski (exactly 18 months ago).  

When we first got Cassius, he was our baby.  He was our everything.  I'm serious when I say that.  I still remember telling my dad that we were getting a boxer dog.  His response was, "Errrrinnnnn, they're a lot of work!"  Boy was he right!  Cassius was your typical puppy.  Hyper, wild, and then would curl up and crash.  BUT.....Cassius turned about one and never would really "crash" when he started getting wild.  There were times that Benji would have to chase him around the house and lay on top of him to get him to calm down and go to sleep for the evening.  

Unfortunately, it saddens me to write this post.  A post I was hoping was a couple of years away.  Our boxer, Cassius, was tired.  He was tired of fighting each breath.  He was tired of not having the energy that he was used to having.  He was tired of being tired.  It was his time to let go.  Yesterday evening, August 29, 2013, I was cooking dinner and the kids were playing like normal in the living room.  I heard them yell to me (and our house is an open floor plan so I was pretty much in the same room) that Cassius pooped.  Shocked, I walked into the living room and was not prepared to see what I saw.  Our "lap dog" had given up.  

We will always remember the good, the bad, and the wild days with Cassius.  He will forever be a part of our family.  Some of our favorite memories with him are when we first picked him up from the breeder, I was holding him and he was so nervous, he peed all over me.  We tell the kids that story all the time and they just giggle.  Once we arrived home with Cassius, he was terrified of his food bowl.  It was one of those silver stainless steel bowls and he could see his reflection in it.  Again, we just laugh thinking about that.  I'll always remember the time Benji went out of town for work when we still lived in Avon, and Cassius was SO upset he had diarrhea all over the entire bedroom (white carpet), not once, but all.night.lonnnnnngggg.  Then there was the time he jumped up on the kitchen counter and ate two whole chicken breasts.  Raw chicken breasts.  A phone call to the emergency clinic was made.  The time when he thought it was a great idea to chew up my glasses that were on the night stand.  I still wonder to this day why he thought that would be a good idea.  Being close to kidney failure and almost having exploratory surgery before he was one years old and then being put on prescription dog food was not one of our favorite times with him, but one we will remember.  Then the move to Seymour and living out on the farm.  That dog LOVED farm life!  He enjoyed it much more than Momma did!  Running around the fields, chasing cats, playing with Brewski, and getting dirty.  We then brought 2 beautiful babies into our family and he really adjusted well.  Of course, we were concerned with how gentle he would be and if he would be jealous, but things all worked out well.  After Brewski passed away in February 2012, we knew Cassius was a little down in the dumps.  We decided it was time to get another doggie!  Sadie was brought home and Cassius definitely livened up a bit!!  Cassius' last day here, I had just gotten out of the shower and got dressed and just lied down next to him in our bed.  Just petting him and spending some time snuggling up to him.  I really wish I would have taken more time out of my day to do that with him.  Once "life" happened in the morning, I just didn't take the time I should have, and I regret that.  But I am thankful for that last morning I had with him.  

We already miss him so much.  There is more room in our bed.  There are less accidents to clean up.  There is less slobber to wipe off the floors by his bowl.  We would take all of that back times ten to have him back home with us.  He's playing with Brewski and being as wild as he knows how, and I love that!  We love you Cassius!

post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment