Monday, February 27, 2012

It was time...

Today was a sad, sad day for the Reinhart family. Our Brewski was put to sleep today. There is nothing anyone can say to make it seem better. We know that he's not suffering anymore. We know that he is back to his playful, hyper self now. Yes, it was a hard decision to make, but we just knew. Everyone told us we would know when it was time. Today was the day. After a few rough days of breathing and laying around with little to no activity, we got the signs we needed to make that dreadful decision.

I tried explaining what was happening to Laney. Of course, we knew Max wouldn't understand. We weren't sure if Laney would or not. In tears, I told her that Brewski was very, very sick and was going to Heaven to be with Jesus. Her initial response, "Can I have the iPad now?" Knowing she didn't quite understand, we let it go and said our good-byes. While Benji was at the vet with Bruce, I stayed home with the kiddos. Laney said, "Brewski is sick and won't be back. Will Daddy be back?" I explained that Daddy would be home soon, but Brewski wouldn't be with him because Brewski is in Heaven. She then said, "That's ok Mommy. Brewski will be able to play with baby Ainslee in Heaven. She'll play with him." Of course, the tears started flowing. Makes you realize how kiddos grasp onto serious issues. Than, that lead to a more serious discussion about her wondering if she'll see Brewski next time she's sick. I then explained that just because a person or animal is sick, they don't always go to Heaven. A lot of times, they get better.

So here is to Brewski....
Best.Dog.Ever
December 25, 2011


post signature

3 comments:

  1. Saying a prayer for you all... it's a hard decision and I know how much those first furry babies mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sorry for your loss.... I, too, know this heartache all too well. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry Erin. I feel your loss and send a big hug your way. Dogs are family and you all are in my thoughts. Meg

    ReplyDelete